Monday, March 27, 2017
With several email accounts and having the same ones for more than 10 years each, I pretty much get every email scam attempt known to mankind. Today, I got one that looked nothing like the thousands of scams in the past. I have copy/pasted it below.
The big difference with this one is it is not asking me to log into a fake PayPal, bank or any other account. It's not asking me for a reply (yet) or asking me for more information.
The big difference with this one is the alleged Vasbinder.doc that is supposedly attached except it's not a Vasbinder.doc, it's a Vasbinder.dot (with a T) and in the email, the scammer says there is a password that has to be entered.
I Googled the entire email and various parts of it looking for anyone else that has written about this scam but I haven't found anyone else.
Being the curious type, I tried to open the word.dot file in Google Docs (so I didn't have to download or open it on my computer) and Google Docs would not open it.
Once again, being the curious type, I think I'm going to reply to the sender acting like I'm falling for their scam, just to see what their next step is going to be.
I left the typos and obvious foreign language syntax in the below email. The P. O. Box is from many, many years ago but was legit at one time.
I'll update as I learn more from this scammer--but in the meantime, do NOT open an alleged word document with .dot as the ending. I did find this website explaining how .dot files are used to then take over your computer as ransomware, where the scammers will release your computer after you pay their "fee" (a/k/a ransom).
Attachments 3:36 PM (4 hours ago)
I have a quite delicate question, which deals directly to you. Don't be surprised how do I know you! The matter is that I have received already a second message from the person, I do not know which claims that you are engaged in fraud. He says, that you forced him transfer funds on your PayPal account under fictional reason. Andwith this information he specified your private information up to address:
Post Office Box 850888
Now he is collecting data and planing to go to the police. I suggest you to view the information that he is sending to me. I have attached Vasbinder.doc with a copy of all of his messages.
Document was encrypted - 4807
Please explain to me what's happening. I think that all of this was a absurd mistake.
Links - Some Of My Resources And Also Links To My Old GeoCities Archived Pages and Webshots Photos
- My Original GeoCities Political Pages, now archived at the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, which stores a copy of nearly every website on the internet.
- My Webshots Photo Album
- AmericanSolutions.com - Newt Gingrich Led Group Concerning The Economy, Energy, Education And Corruption
- DickMorris.com - Daily Newsletters With Columns And Information From Dick Morris
- DrudgeReport.com - Compilation of News Headlines from around the world
- GlennBeck.com - For All The Latest And Greatest Info-tainment From Glenn Beck
- Heritage.org - The Heritage Foundation Conservative Think Tank Website With LOTS Of GREAT Information
- National Rifle Association Institute For Legislative Action - To Get Grassroots And Action Alerts To Contact Your Politicians About
- National Taxpayers Union
- "None Of The Above" NOTA Yahoo Group Forum for discussing NOTA ballot initiatives around the world
- NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Numbers - The Action Board Is An Easy Way For Members To Send Faxes To Their Elected Officials And Others Concerning Immigration Issues
- RushLimbaugh.com - For All The Latest And Greatest Info-tainment From Rush Limbaugh
- Tea Party Citizen Action Center - Email Tool For Sending An Email To ALL Of Your Politicians In One Fell Swoop... From Your Local State Representative Up To The President Of The USA
- Tea Party Citizen Action Center - A Home For Tea Party Groups In Louisiana
- TheBlaze.com - is a news, information and opinion site brought to you by Glenn Beck and a dedicated team of writers, journalists & video producers.
- The Dead Pelican - Compilation of News Headlines affecting Louisiana
- The Heritage Foundation - Leadership For America
- TheHill.com - News from The Hill